Aloha!

Today in continuing with our retrospective and logging of the development of the NovaStar project I will be detailing some of the implementation of the audio for the game. Before we get into it I would like to plug our project which was published on itch.io and can be played here:

Implementing Basic Audio

When we first started developing the game and were working on our own separate parts locally the method that was used to implement the audio on my personal version of the game was to provide each prefab that would need audio with an audio source…


Aloha!

It’s been a while and as development of the NovaStar project continued in full swing keeping up with the workload along with some other commitments meant I had to put the daily dev diary posts on hold for a few weeks. With my schedule opening up again I can now resume providing updates on our progress for the project as well as my own personal pursuits. The good news is that in the time I have been away from these posts we were able to finish development of the 1.0 version of the game and publish it on itch.io…


Aloha!

Today we continued development on our NovaStar project and with the weapons locked in we put our focus onto developing our enemy roster for the game. My responsibility for the day was to build a new enemy type that is small, fast, and dies in one hit which we can call the “speed cruiser”. This type of enemy is meant to be fodder that harasses the player and can be used in larger numbers to give the piercing shot types greater utility. Their fast speed and smaller size makes them difficult targets to hit but their fragility means that…


Aloha!

Today our team continued our development of our team project however the report today will be a bit on the light side for programming detail. The reason being that today was primarily a logistics and organization day where we convened to go over the separate parts each of us built and then took the time to merge our work together to form a new baseline build that we can continue to build off of.

Where we left off on Friday I had completed the charge laser weapon and implemented the weapons into the system Mar had developed. Today our…


Aloha!

Today’s chunk of development consisted of working on two main features, integrating the weapons that have been created into the weapon system for the game and completing the charge laser weapon which received another round of revisions.

The Weapon Selection System

The weapon system was developed by my teammate Mar which acts as the primary logic that the game uses to decide which weapon is active at any given time. The system works off of using an enum structure and a switch statement to check which weapon should be active and then updates the active weapon whenever the player…


Aloha!

Today we are continuing with the point of development that I left off at yesterday which was developing a new type of weapon for the player to use. The weapon in question was a sustained laser that the player can sweep over multiple enemies. Programming this mechanic was a fun challenge as it required a couple revisions using different methods with the end result being a mix of a few. Before we break down the process I would like to outline the main functions of this feature.

Parts of the feature

The laser has three different states idle, charging…


Aloha!

For today we started our development in proper by working on our chosen roles to put together a 2.5D side-scrolling shooter. My role for this section of the project was developing the different weapons that the player will switch between as they upgrade themselves by destroying and downgrade themselves by receiving damage. Using the sprites we were provided I set about creating what would be our baseline for different attacks the player could use. The idea behind these shot types are for them to act as methods of attack that provide some gameplay variety but are fairly simple to…


Aloha!

Today we shifted gears in the program and we started on a group project that we plan to the develop over the next 1–2 weeks. We are a team of 6 members who are aiming to make a 2.5 side scrolling arcade shooter in a similar style to the 2D space shooter that most of us have been working on for the the last couple of weeks. The idea behind this project is to work as a team to develop a game with specific prompts to a somewhat larger scale than the solo space shooter project was while also…


Aloha!

Today’s work was a continuation of the development of different enemy movement behaviors and types for Phase II: Core Programming. Where I last left off yesterday I was able to implement a a basic variation to the enemy movement patterns where the enemies can travel in varying diagonal angles. today I expanded on that design to add in an enemy movement pattern that moves the enemy in a serpentine motion as well as a quick re-do of the spawning logic to select which enemy to spawn. The change to the spawning logic was simply to replace the layered if-else…


Aloha!

Today was the day I moved on from the Framework phase into the Core Programming phase of the course. This involved a new set of challenges to implement and expand the experience of the game. At first I made a quick pass through the list of requirements and checked off any that could be done relatively quickly. This included the homing shot that I made in Phase 1 turned out to be a requirement in Phase 2. The other quick addition was changing the ammo counter in the UI to display both the current ammo count as well as…

Kurt Noe

An aspiring game-dev from Hawai’i. Previous experience was in programming and animation work.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store